Whether you love Valentine’s Day, or you hate it, it happens. So, if you are going to celebrate it, then it should be fun. If you want to do your own thing, that should be even more fun.
- Museums– What better way to get creative than to go to a museum on Valentine’s Day? Or maybe a science center?
- Go geocaching– Take the evening to go treasure hunting. it builds teamwork!
- Go for a hot-air balloon ride– Is there really a better date than to look down on the world from a massive balloon?
- Adult arcades– Grab a good drink and check out the local arcade. Most don’t close til 2am…
- Create street art– Go buy a bucket of sidewalk chalk and create some Valentine’s Day street art around your hometown. Spare us the boy + girl forever hearts…
- Go rock climbing– Indoors, of course, because it’s too cold for that otherwise.
- Make pottery– There are a lot a places that will let you bring your own alcohol to a pottery making class. Sometimes there aren’t even classes. You can go in and make your own pottery, the business will fire it for you, and you can pick it up later. It’s a good date idea!
Standard date ideas
Some people like tradition. For those of you who want ideas but don’t want to get too wild, I have a fun list for you too!
- Go ice skating– It is still cold outside and it will be great for ice skating! How many times have you gone ice skating on a date?
- Play video games– Seriously, playing video games is relaxing. Yes, even if you are playing Call of Duty. Playing games like this with your significant other builds better relationships. It’s not proven or anything, but I’m convinced.
- A quick lunch– Forget dinner. Make a good meal the night before and steal your sweetie away from work for a quick lunch.
- Make dinner together– Just because you don’t have anything planned doesn’t mean you can’t have a good night. Help him/her make an awesome dinner for both of you. Don’t forget the wine! Try playing Twister when you are finished. It will be a good laugh if nothing else.
- A movie night– Go see a scary movie! Forget romantic comedies! Go watch a slasher film.
Even though the above suggestions could all be really fun, this is my favorite.
You should replay your first date! (assuming you didn’t just start dating.) I’m not saying that you should try to make it happen like it happened. I’m just saying that you should go on the same date that you planned for your first real date.
A everlasting date story (for inspiration)
On my first date with my boyfriend we played putt putt and went to get ice cream. Nothing out of the ordinary. However, on our way to the putt putt course he told me that his grandma made fun of him before he left because he told her that he was nervous to go out with me. (Awww!) And after we got ice cream, we sat in the parking lot talking for over an hour.
The best part? We went to Walmart after that because one of us had to pick something up. When we got back to the car he opened my door for me. I know some of you think that is just adorable. I hate it. (I have arms, I can open the door by myself.) I said something about not liking it and he said “please get in the car”. I said “no”. So, he picked me up, threw me into the passenger seat, shut and locked the door, and hit the panic button while running away from the car.
Hilarious! We’ve been dating for about 6 years now.
A date doesn’t have to be perfect. Don’t overplan or go out of your way to make it expensive. Have fun. Enjoy it!
I was walking through the grocery store the other day looking at the Valentine’s Day candy when I saw conversation hearts. I wrinkled my nose because I immediately imagined the chalky taste associated with them. I guess it depends on your taste, but I’m not wild about them. So, I decided to make conversation magnets for Valentine’s Day instead. They are useful and cute!
Things You Will Need:
Magnetic tape strips
*You can get the gems from the Dollar Store and the magnetic tape strips from Walmart.
Ignore the paint brush. I don’t know why I put it in the picture, but you won’t need it.
Pick a pretty Valentine’s Day paper that is pink or red and trace the gem. When you cut it out, cut inside of the circle to make it a bit smaller.
Write some conversation notes on the circles you’ve just cut out. Make sure you write small and keep it in the center.
Add a small drop of Diamond Glaze on the back of the gem. Lay one of the circles face down (so that the writing faces the back of the gem) onto the glue. Let it dry.
Add another drop of glue to the back of the circle and press a pre-cut strip of the magnetic tape.
The magnet had a layer of adhesive on the back of it, but considering that I spend $1 something for the whole pack, I didn’t trust the adhesive to stick. Go with the glue.
Let it dry. Repeat for the remaining magnets.
When you are finished, you should have something like the above image.
They are cute and functional! Mail them to your friends 🙂
For one month, Red (better known as Hong Yi) played with her food. She made creative designs with every-day foods like radishes, eggs, and cherry tomatoes. She met her goal of creating a little bit of everything such as landscapes, animals, and pieces reflecting pop culture. This projects seems to be pretty popular so, if you haven’t seen it yet, check it out on Facebook and read an interview on designboom. Yi also has an Instagram account @redhongyi that you can follow her on.
What do you think? Would you have the patience to do this?
Everyone likes cheap crafts. Especially when the final result looks better than something you would buy in the stores. I was walking through the Dollar Store yesterday and found these cute gems. (Yes, they do serve a purpose besides sitting at the bottom of a fish tank.)
I instantly thought those could look really cute on a frame. I went in search of a plain, standard frame with level edges. I found two. A black one and a silver one. I bought both because I wasn’t sure how it was going to look against the gems. I really wanted to find a white frame and use the color tinted gems, but I couldn’t find one, so I settled with clear gems.
All together, my Make Something Mondays craft costed less than $5 and took about 15 minutes to make. Win!
Things You Will Need:
*You can use whatever glue you want, but I prefer Diamond Glaze because I know it dries clear.
Add a small drop of glue to the flat part of your gem.
Flip your gem over and lay the flat side on the frame.
Repeat until the entire frame is covered in gems. Let it dry.
*If you are using the Diamond Glaze, be patient. It will take an hour or so to start drying.
Note to crafters:
Assuming you have used a standard sized frame, you will likely run into the same issue I had. My gems did not fit perfectly around the edge of the frame. 😦 so sad. In that case, make (or buy) a cute bow and glue it over top of the gems. No one will ever know!
That looks pretty cute!
Hope you like them, and happy crafting!
After I posted by Valentine’s Day Gifts for Him 2014, I got a request for Valentine’s Day gifts for her. So, this is for you!
(Most) women are easy to buy for. If you get chocolate, flowers, and/or dinner, you’re doing pretty well. But, there are always some ladies that hate that stuff. I hate getting flowers. Save your money… Surely there are other women out there who feel the way I do. With that in mind, I’ve compiled a few ideas for the hard-to-buy-for women in your lives.
Let me know what you think! If you have ideas to add you can leave them in the comments. Please do, my readers will thank you!
This is a really cute idea. It is a necklace with dandelion seeds inside. It will remind her to wish and to dream. She will love it! $24.90
Electric Wine Opener with Wine Chiller
If your girl likes wine, this would be an awesome gift. It comes with a wine chiller and an electric opener. How great would it be to not have to pop the cork out of a wine bottle ever again? $21.49
Burt’s Bees Tips and Toes
This is the Tips and Toes kit from Burt’t Bees. If you are unfamiliar with Burt’s Bees, I assure you it is amazing and that, assuming she likes lotion and lip balm, she will love this. $10.39
This one is really a really cute gift. Obviously, it makes more sense to get this for someone you live with. It is a simple idea that really shows you are thinking of her. Not to mention that she will think of you more often… $25-$28 depending on your color choice.