Things you will need:
- Small glass bottle– The ideal bottle will be wider at the bottom and smaller toward the neck to keep the liquid from evaporating. Also, I prefer glass bottles because they are less likely to leak but you could use ceramic bottles or vases as well.
- Mineral oil– you can find this at any pharmacy.
- Vodka– I don’t think I need to explain where to find this. I used cake flavored vodka and it adds a bit more of a kick to your scent.
- Diffuser reeds– You can find these at craft stores for a few dollars.
- Essential oil– Make sure your fragrance is oil based or it will separate from the mineral oil. Water based oils still will still work but it will look funny. You can find these online (Ebay), in some craft stores and at the Vitamin Shoppe (I recommend this option. Oils are much cheaper here.)
The mineral oil is used as a non-evaporating base to hold the essential oils. Pour 1/4 cup of oil into a measuring cup.
Add 2-3 tablespoons of vodka. Stir thoroughly because this will not mix naturally. The vodka is used to thin the oils to the right consistency so that it can move up the reeds.
Add your choice of essential oil to your mixture. Your ratio should be around 75% base to 25% essential oil. Stir thoroughly.
Then just pour everything into your container, and insert 5-6 reeds. After a few hours, flip the reeds over to let the scent permeate the room. Continue to flip the reeds every few days.